I live in Massachusetts and my father/mother, who is a Portuguese citizen, died some time ago.
What should I do?

This service is by postal mail only.

Please send to the Consulate:

  • Original of the US death certificate of the deceased or a certified copy with apostile.
  • (If possible) Portuguese identification document of the deceased.

Fee: None.


  • If the marital status of the deceased shown on the US death certificate is different from the marital status recorded in Portugal, updating that information is advisable. For example, if the US death certificate shows “Married” for marital status, and the Portuguese Civil Registry shows “single”, then you need to present a marriage certificate of the deceased. To register a marriage, visit: 
  • If the deceased was receiving a retirement pension from Portugal, the spouse or family member should contact the Consulate to apply for death benefits. Portuguese Social Security Administration as well as Caixa Geral de Aposentações (Retirement Benefits Administration) allow 3 months after date of death to submit your application.

I need an already existing Portuguese death certificate. How can I get it? Visit 


My father/mother died in Massachusetts but I want to bury him/her in Portugal (repatriation of mortal remains).
What should I do?

To repatriate the mortal remains of your family member, you should go to the Consulate and bring in the following documents:

  • Certified copy of the death certificate;
  • Photocopy of the deceased’s birth record, or if you don’t have it, any other Portuguese identification document.
  • Indication of the cemetery where the mortal remains are to be buried, as well as the name of the person who will accompany the casket to Portugal.
  • Letter from the American funeral agency certifying that all the requirements for air transportation of the casket are met, that it was sealed by the funeral agent, and that it only contains the body/remains of the deceased;
  • Certificate issued by the Massachusetts Board of Health, stating that the body/remains of the deceased are in sanitary conditions to be transported.

 My father/mother died in Massachusetts and his/her body was cremated. I wish to bring his/her ashes to Portugal.
What should I do?

In order to transport the ashes of your family member to Portugal it is necessary to record his/her death first. (Read the answer to the first question in this section).

After the death has been recorded, you should bring to the Consulate:

  • The urn with the ashes so that it can be sealed and the proper consular documentation attached;
  • Certification from the American Crematory, attesting that all the sanitary requirements were fulfilled.