cartao de cidadao

Fiscal Number

I am a foreign citizen or a Portuguese citizen living outside of the European Union and I need a taxpayer number (NIF or Número de Contribuinte) in Portugal. How can I request it?

Option A

  • Have someone willing to be your Fiscal Representative in Portugal. The Fiscal Representative has to reside in Portugal and must have a Taxpayer Number. 
  • Send by postal mail to the Consulate the following documents:

The paperwork will be sent to the competent authorities in Portugal by the Consulate. 

Option B

You may choose to have a Power of Attorney drawn. The proxy must be a person who resides in Portugal and has a Taxpayer number. Your proxy will be your Fiscal Representative in Portugal and will be responsible for requesting a Taxpayer number on your behalf.

The Consulate of Portugal in New Bedford requires an appointment in order to draw a power of attorney. It can be scheduled by email ( or by phone (508-997-6151).

On the day of your appointment:

  • Bring with you a valid Portuguese or foreign photo ID. Foreign (non Portuguese) Driver’s Licenses are not accepted.
  • Bring with you the following information regarding your proxy:
    • Full name, date and place of Birth; address in Portugal; Taxpayer Number;
    • ID number and the validity date (photo ID cannot be expired). Foreign (non Portuguese) Driver’s Licenses are not accepted.