I am a foreign citizen or a Portuguese citizen living outside of the European Union and I need a taxpayer number (NIF or Número de Contribuinte) in Portugal. How can I request it?
- Have someone willing to be your Fiscal Representative in Portugal. The Fiscal Representative has to reside in Portugal and must have a Taxpayer Number.
- Drop off at the Consulate of your residence area the following documents:
- Form Documento de Aceitação da Representação Fiscal” - anexo III (Portuguese only) filled out and signed (as ID document) by the person to be the Fiscal Representative. Every blank must be filled out with no abbreviations
- Copy of the valid picture ID of the Fiscal Representative. Driver’s Licenses are not accepted.
- Form Modelo de Carta para residentes fora da UE, da Islândia ou da Noruega - Anexo II (Portuguese only), filled out and signed (as ID document) by the Taxpayer’s Number applicant. All blanks must be filled out with no abbreviations.
- Copy of the valid picture ID of Taxpayer’s Number applicant. Driver’s Licenses are not accepted.
The paperwork will be sent to the competent authorities in Portugal by the Consulate.
You may choose to have a Power of Attorney drawn. The proxy must be a person who resides in Portugal and has a Taxpayer number. Your proxy will be your Fiscal Representative in Portugal and will be responsible for requesting a Taxpayer number on your behalf.
The Consulate of Portugal in New Bedford requires an appointment in order to draw a power of attorney. It can be scheduled by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (508-997-6151).
On the day of your appointment:
- Bring with you a valid Portuguese or foreign photo ID. Foreign (non Portuguese) Driver’s Licenses are not accepted.
- Bring with you the following information regarding your proxy:
- Date and Place of Birth; address in Portugal; Taxpayer Number;
- ID number and the validity date (photo ID cannot be expired). Foreign (non Portuguese) Driver’s Licenses are not accepted.