Portuguese citizenship for grandchildren (born abroad) of Portuguese grandparents

I am a foreign citizen. My parents are also foreign citizens. At least one of my grandparents is (was) a Portuguese citizen by origin. I am interested in obtaining Portuguese citizenship. What do I need to do?

Documents you need:

  • Formally state that you wish to be Portuguese (fill out the attached form and sign it);
  • Certified copy of your US Birth Certificate, (issued by Vital Statistics of Massachusetts or the State where you were born.—can be obtained online or at the City Clerk’s office. This Birth Certificate should show the signature of your mother/father at the time of your birth, therefore, this certificate should be a certified copy of the Book of Births);
  • Certified copy of the birth certificate (long form) of your Portuguese grandparent
  • Certified copy of the Birth Certificate (long form) of your father or mother who descends directly from the Portuguese citizen
  • Certified copy of your grandparents’ Marriage Certificate
  • Copy of your US Passport or another valid picture ID document;
  • Original criminal record certificate issued by FBI ( and also from all countries where you have resided previously (certificates should be issued within 6 months prior to submission)
  • Proof of your present residence (i.e. US driver license);
  • Proof of fluency in Portuguese Language through one of these means:
    • Certificate of proficiency in Portuguese obtained through a test administered in the jurisdiction area of the Consulate (for more information, please contact João Caixinha;)
    • Academic certificate issued by an official Portuguese educational establishment (private or cooperative);
    • Academic certificate issued by an official educational establishment (private or cooperative), which is legally recognized in an official Portuguese speaking country.
  • If you do not fluent in Portuguese, you will need to provide proof of effective connection to the Portuguese community (for example and not limited to: proof of regular visits to Portugal; ownership of a property in Portugal; active and regular participation in Portuguese cultural traditions and / or in Portuguese clubs/groups).

Fees (see below)

Note: Civil Registry certificates from the US issued in Massachusetts must receive an apostile - 

Does the Consulate intervene?

  • Subject to the documents in existance
  • To record marriages occurred in USA (separate cost).
  • It is advisable that Civil Registry certificates from the US be translated to Portuguese. The translation may be requested at the Consulate (cost charged per page).

Note: payments at the Consulate are in cash

VERY IMPORTANT: The petition with all supporting documentation, as well as payment in Euros (see below), will be mailed directly to the Conservatória dos Registos Centrais in Portugal for final review.

Conservatória dos Registos Centrais
Rua Rodrigo da Fonseca, 200
1099-033 Lisboa, Portugal

Payment: 175 euros. Bank check in EUROS, from a bank with representation in Portugal, payable to IRN, IP or by credit card:  (please do not forget to print the proof of payment sent to email address provided by the applicant in the payment form. That print out must be included in the documentation to be sent to Portugal).