Citizenship through marriage

I am a US citizen. I married a Portuguese citizen and have been married for more than 3 years. I wish to obtain Portuguese citizenship. What should I do?

The following documents will be required:

  • Filled out form to be signed at the Consulate (download form here);
  • Certified copy of your US Birth Certificate, (issued by Vital Statistics of Mass or the State where you were born.—can be obtained online or at the City Clerk’s office. This Birth Certificate should show the signature of your mother/father at the time of your birth, therefore, this certificate should be a certified copy of the Book of Births);
  • Copy of your US Passport;
  • Original criminal record certificate issued by the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation);
  • Original criminal record certificates issued by all countries where you have lived for more than six months.(If criminal record certificates are not written in Portuguese or English, they should be translated and should be authenticated by the Consulate of Portugal of the country of issuance);
  • Proof of liaison to the local Portuguese community or Portugal; (this proof should evidence links to various factors relating to your home, your language, as well as cultural, social, family, economic, and professional aspects …)
  • Birth Certificate of your Portuguese spouse, with the annotation of your marriage.
  • Marriage Certificate

Once all the steps are concluded, the petition with all supporting documentation, as well as payment in Euros (see below), mail directly to the Conservatória dos Registos Centrais in Portugal for final review.

Conservatória dos Registos Centrais
Rua Rodrigo da Fonseca, 200
1099-033 Lisboa, Portugal

Fee: 250.00 EUROS – Bank check in EUROS, from a bank with representation in Portugal, payable to IRN, IP