cartao de cidadao

Certificate of Residency

I have been living in the US for a few years. This is my regular residence (I live here at least 185 days a year). I need a Certificate to prove it. Can I get it at the Consulate?

Yes, you can get it at the Consulate.

What do I need to do?

You will need to make an appointment and present the following documents:

  • Identification Card (Bilhete de Identidade) or Citizen Card, or Passport;
  • Proof of residence in the US (for example, utilities bills showing your complete address)



Certificates of Residence are usually requested for the following:

  • Official purposes;
  • Banking purposes;
  • Academic purposes;
  • Legalization (in Portugal) of motor vehicle.