I am a portuguese citizen and I got married in USA or outside Portugal.
What should I do to record my marriage in Portugal?
This service is by postal mail only.
Send, by mail, to the Consulate:
- Original or a certified copy with raised seal of your US long form marriage certificate or of the country in which the marriage took place. If the issuing authority is of a country member of the Hague Convention - Apostile, the certificate needs to receive an apostile.
- (If possible) Any Identification documents of bride and groom.
- If one of them is not a Portuguese citizen, also present the original or certified copy with the raised seal of the respective long form birth certificate. If the issuing authority is of a country member of the Hague Convention - Apostile, the certificate needs to receive an apostile.
- a letter with the name of the applicant and contacts (phone number and email, if possible);
- a self-addressed return envelope;
- a Money Order on behalf of «Consulate of Portugal» on the amount of 142,73 USD (registration + postage). The money order must be signed and show your address.
Consulate's address: 628 Pleasant St., Room 204, New Bedford, MA 02740
Exception: If you are requesting the registration of your marriage within the scope of a Portuguese Citizenship application because you are a child of a Portuguese national, you may make your request of marriage registration when visiting the Consulate to present your Citizenship application. This will require an appointment.
NOTE: If you are a Portuguese citizen, and are recording your second marriage following a US divorce decree, please contact the Consulate to find out if you need to initiate court proceedings in Portugal to have your US divorce reviewed and confirmed there.
I need a marriage certificate from Portugal. What should I do? Visit http://www.consulateportugalnewbedford.org/us/serv_cons-us/cert_casa-us.php