I am a portuguese citizen and live in Massachusetts. I got married in USA.
What should I do to record my marriage in Portugal?
You should go to the Consulate and present the following documents:
- Certified copy with raised seal of your US marriage certificate
- (If possible) Any Identification documents of bride and groom.
- If one of them is not a Portuguese citizen, also present a birth certificate.
NOTE: If you are a Portuguese citizen, and are recording your second marriage following a US divorce decree, please contact the Consulate to find out if you need to initiate court proceedings in Portugal to have your US divorce reviewed and confirmed there.
I need a marriage certificate from Portugal. Can I get one at the Consulate?
Yes, you can.
How can I get it?
You have two ways of obtaining this document:
1) You can come to the Consulate and request the Marriage Certificate OR
2) You can do it by mail, sending a letter to the Consulate with the following documents:
- Copy of your old certificate OR a copy of a valid Portuguese identification document (if you don’t have any of these documents, write in a paper your full name, your date of birth, and full name of your parents);
- Cover letter explaining the service you require and your contacts (email and cell phone number);
- Self-addressed postmarked envelope;
- Money Order payable to "Consulate of Portugal in New Bedford".
Certificate for any purpose: $22.87 (in cash)
Certificate for Social Security: $11.43 (in cash)