cartao de cidadao


I am a portuguese citizen and live in Massachusetts. I got married in USA.
What should I do to record my marriage in Portugal?

You should go to the Consulate and present the following documents:

  • Certified copy with raised seal of your US marriage certificate
  • (If possible) Any Identification documents of bride and groom.
  • If one of them is not a Portuguese citizen, also present a birth certificate.

NOTE: If you are a Portuguese citizen, and are recording your second marriage following a US divorce decree, please contact the Consulate to find out if you need to initiate court proceedings in Portugal to have your US divorce reviewed and confirmed there.

 I need a marriage certificate from Portugal. Can I get one at the Consulate?

Yes, you can.

How can I get it?

You have two ways of obtaining this document:

1)     You can come to the Consulate and request the Marriage Certificate OR

2)      You can do it by mail, sending a letter to the Consulate with the following documents:

  • Copy of your old certificate OR a copy of a valid Portuguese identification document (if you don’t have any of these documents, write in a paper your full name, your date of birth, and full name of your parents);
  • Cover letter explaining the service you require and your contacts (email and cell phone number);
  • Self-addressed postmarked envelope;
  • Money Order payable to "Consulate of Portugal in New Bedford".

Fee varies in accordance with the purpose of the request: any purpose or Social Security.